Are you looking for a one of a kind getaway to the best National Parks in the NT without the annoying hassle of being on ‘tour’ with a bunch of ‘tourists’? Your memories are uniquely your own and you shouldn’t have to share them with people you hardly know. But it’s ok, with a self drive tour you can get your own way, and what you do and who you do it with is totally up to you. We’ve searched and searched and found possibly the best self drive itinerary for Kakadu, Nitmiluk and Litchfield National Park. We’ve also listed a few things you can see and do while you’re there and some choice spots to rent your chariot.
The Most Popular 7 Day Driving Itinerary ‘Round the Trifecta
- Day 1: Begin in Darwin, pick up ya wheels and get ya butt to Kakadu
- Day 2: Spend some time getting to know Kakadu National Park
- Day 3: Continue exploring Kakadu; there’s heaps to see and do (how’s that for a rap?)
- Day 4: Depart Kakadu on your way to Katherine and Nitmiluk National Park
- Day 5: Inspect and enjoy Nitmiluk
- Day 6: Depart Nitmiluk on your way to Litchfield
- Day 7: (Suggested) Final leg from Litchfield back to Darwin
What to See and Do On Your Way
Darwin City has lots to offer. From stunning daytime views of the waterfront to the entertaining Darwin nightlife, why not dine out with the locals who’ll be serving a plethora of multicultural dishes or head on down to Crocosaurus cove to feed and/or swim with the dinosaurs.
Kakadu National Park has a ton of awesome sites for you to explore on the first leg of your self-driven tour. You’re going to need at least a couple of days to get to know this UNESCO world heritage site due, to is massive size and quality content.
Here’s a list of places you should check out while you’re there:
- Gunlom Waterfall Creek
- Maguk Gorge
- Jim Jim Falls
- Anbangbang Billabong
- Cahills Crossing
- Twin Falls
- Mirrai Lookout
- Bardedjilidji Walk
- Koolpin Gorge
Nitmiluk National Park in Katherine is the second stop on your self drive itinerary, packing tones of natural wonder of it’s own.
You’ll definitely be stoked you stopped off at Nitmiluk Gorge, especially if you take advantage of the following options:
- Nit Nit Dreaming 2 Gorge Cultural Cruise
- Timeless Land 3 Gorge Cruise
- Dawn Cruise
- Nabilil Dreaming Sunset Dinner Cruise
- Malappar Traveller Canoe Trip
- Kuluyampi Explorer Canoe Trip
- Helicopter Scenic Flights
- Helicopter Adventure Swim Tour
- Helicopter Jawoyn Rock Art Tour
Litchfield National Park, the final point of the trifecta, boasts a number of fantastic, jaw dropping and Instagram exploding natural wonders that are guaranteed to finish your self drive trip off with a bang… who knows, you may even stick around for longer.
Things to see and do at Litchfield National Park include:
- Wangi Falls
- Florence Falls
- Buley Rockhole
- Helicopter Rides
- Indigofera Ecotour
- Tjaetaba Falls
- Sandy Creek
- The Lost City
Where to Rent Your Wheels
Finally, planning a trip on the open road means you’ll need wheels to roll on.
While you might be able to get away with your own car, it’s probably a smarter idea to rent a nice sturdy and reliable 4WD to ensure you ride in comfort, without the risk of damaging your own car or breaking down in the bush.
Below is a short list of a few great places to rent 4WDs and campervans for your trip around the NT:
Hey! Ya still here? What are you waiting for? Go get amongst it!